Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Deadly by Julie Chibbaro

Hello, Pickwickers! I'm very excited about the new blog, and I decided for my first review here, I'd discuss one of my favorite books I have read this year. It has been awhile since I found a novel that kept me so interested that I read it late into the night, and also satisfied by desire for a well-written YA romance as well.

DeadlyDeadly by Julie Chibbaro

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I absolutely loved this book. The story, about a young woman in 1906 who leaves finishing school to become an assistant in the very young Department of Health of New York, was very compelling. Prudence finds herself yearning to know how bacteria and illness works, partly for personal reasons, and partly as a calling to become a scientist or doctor herself-- if that's even possible for a woman in 1906. She and her chief find themselves investigating a case of typhoid that is spreading, and they must catch the person spreading it (if you're familiar with this part of history, you probably know who they're after...).

My only grumble was that I was so invested in the story that I could easily see it wasn't going to be wrapped up to my satisfaction. I could see at one point that there were less than 15 pages left, and I still felt as if I were in the middle of the story. So, I deducted one star for a hurried ending.

I definitely plan to research the facts behind the fiction in this case, and also find more books by this author.


~

No comments:

Post a Comment